How to Measure Outdoor Lounge Chairs
The following are instructions on how to gather measurements from your outdoor lounge chairs for your new replacement cushions. A good tip is to try to imagine the cushion sitting on the furniture. This helps to know how high and far you would like the cushions to come to the edges.
Back MeasurementMeasure from the preferred top edge of the lounge chair down to the seat.
- Back Width: Measure the total width of the back support (left to right).
- Back Height: Measure the height of the back support (top down to seat).
Back Height – Seat Thickness = Total Back Height**
**When seat and back are separate pieces make sure to subtract the thickness of the seat cushion from the height of your back measurement or the back cushion will be taller than the chair back when put into position.
Seat MeasurementMeasure from the back of the lounge chair out to the preferred front edge.
- Seat Width: Measure the total width of the seat (left to right).
- Seat Depth: Measure the depth of the seat (front to back).
Cushion thickness varies on type of furniture as well as personal preference.
- When measuring your outdoor furniture, try to imagine the cushion in place if no cushion is available. Old cushions tend to spread out over time and may not provide you with accurate measurements.
- For most accurate results use a firm tape measure (carpenter's tape) rather than a flexible measuring tapes (tailor's tape).
- Back and seat measurements are very important as this will tell you where the break in the cushion will be. IMPORTANT: Subtract the thickness of your seat cushion from the height of your furniture back measurement or the back cushion will sit higher than the back support when put into position. This rule applies to separate back and seat cushions ONLY -- not hinged cushions.